Monday, August 16, 2010

His and Hers


My new favorite thing right now is over night oatmeal in a jar.  I'm hesitant to call it oatmeal (even though it is clearly made from oats) as you don't cook it and it's served cold.  It's more like how I imagine porridge.  But don't be dissuaded by either name because whatever you choose to call it it's delicious.

I started out making this dish with banana.  The ultimate variation would be peanut butter and banana.  But tonight I made a peach version to use the beautiful fresh peaches we picked up from a local orchard this weekend.  

Overnight Peach Porridge (cause "porridge" just sounds better here)
The basic:
1/2 cup raw oats (I use traditional Quaker Instant, because that's what I have)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (regular milk or half and half would also be delicious)
1/4 cup yogurt (I've been using Fiber One Vanilla and it's wonderful! The perfect amount of sweet.)
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

The add ons:
1 tbsp. peach butter (like apple butter, dark and tangy, but I bet peach preserves would work too)
1 fresh peach, diced

Combine first 5 ingredients in a jar or resealable container.  Mix well.  Top with fruit.  Cover and refrigerate over night.  Eat and enjoy!  I just can't express how fresh and delicious this is.  I've been taking it to work for lunch and look forward to it all morning.

And like I mentioned above, you can vary your add ons - like, 1/2 banana mashed into the oatmeal and 1 tbsp of peanut butter.  Or honey and walnuts.  Or blueberry preserves and fresh blueberries.

Tonight- I made one for me and one for my husband.  For his, I doubled some of the portions- the oats, milk, and yogurt, and peach butter, but left everything else the same.
Mmmmmm.  I'm already excited for tomorrow!

2 comments:

Inward Studio said...

I might have to try this. Easy, homemade breakfasts are common.

Miss Bee said...

I love breakfast. It might just be my favorite meal of the day. I just wish I had more time to play with it. This work thing, so in the way! :)